All about CBD Oil: How It Works and Its Potential Benefits
Recently, cannabinoids have been extensively studied for their anticancer effects and to relieve symptoms related to the side effects of its treatment. Various cell culture and animal studies have shown antitumor effects of cannabinoids in various types of cancer. Both, in vitro and in vivo cancer models show that cannabinoids can effectively modulate tumor growth, although it has also been noted that the antitumor effect of CBD largely depends on cancer type (3) and the side effect the patient is suffering from, which might vary from person to person.
You might find it surprising to know that revenues from hemp-based CBD products were already above USD 30 million in 2017. In fact, you can expect the CBD industry to be worth several billions of US dollars by 2022. CBD is the Delta 9 gummies online short form for Cannabidiol, and is one of more than 100 chemicals present in the cannabis plant. There have been a few uses of CBD oil for cancer, but no conclusive evidence has yet been obtained of it being a sure shot cure.
CBD has been recognized as a complex product with different mechanisms at work, some of which are able to provide excellent health benefits:
- Anxiety- Several clinical trials have shown that CBD oil is capable of reducing anxiety levels. Moderate doses of 300 mg a day have been able to have this positive effect. The chemical is able to achieve the above by interacting with a number of central nervous receptors.
- IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease)- CBD is able to keep the intestinal barrier in good condition. It has also been able to positively affect the pathology and symptoms of IBD, and has helped keep down the levels of tissue injuries. Clinical trials on IBD with this chemical are relatively spare at present.
- Inflammation and pain- CBD has been able to reduce pain and nerve damages in rats affected by osteoarthritis. Relatively speaking, studies on humans have been limited, but it does appear to make pain more tolerable.
- Seizures- The chemical CBD has the capability of potentially inhibiting a seizure disorder without the harmful side effects of traditional seizure medications. However, there are many seizures which still cannot be handled without medication.
- Cancer treatment- CBD oil for cancer is recognized as a type of complementary therapy which can be undertaken alongside regular cancer treatment. CBD for cancer pain is well known, along with its potential for stimulating appetite and curing nausea.
It has been said that CBD for cancer prevention does appear to prevent the growth of various types of tumor cells in animal models as well as test tubes. However, it is also likely that certain cannabinoids can even suppress the human immune system, thereby allowing unabated growth of tumors. More research is needed to truly ascertain the potential of the cannabis plant.
Side effects of CBD
Most people are able to tolerate CBD easily, but there are some who experience mild side effects. The list of such side effects includes:
- Variations in appetite
- Weight changes
Always consult a doctor before deciding to try Cannabidiol. He or she may warn you of how it could have potentially dangerous effects on the following medications:
- Muscle relaxers
- Drugs for chemotherapy
- Blood thinners
- Anti-seizure medications
- Anti-anxiety medications
Live toxicity is one of the major side effects, having been tested on mice. CBD also inhibits the use of certain enzymes vital for cancer therapy, which can lead to the therapy becoming less effective in the chemical’s presence.